This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  umassgrad20052005 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

armchairgm
    Participant

Top 5 3pt Shooters in NBA History? Mine are:

1. Steph Curry
    2.Kyle Korver
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Ray Allen
    5. Reggie Miller

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

the disrespect to drazen is unreal.

Curry has to be one
    Drazen is my two
    Ray Allen
    Klay
    Reggie Miller

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Curry, Klay, Ray Allen, and Korver have to be in there. I’d probably put Peja slightly ahead of Miller. Miller was more known for the clutch threes, but Peja shot such a remarkable percentage for such a high volume 3 point shooter throughout his career.

Drazen Petrovich played in a different era and didn’t really shoot a lot of whole lot of threes. He shot a high percentage but on a low volume relative to today’s players.

Steve Kerr actually has the highest all-time 3 point percentage for an entire career. However, virtually he shot a very low volume and virtually all of his attempts were wide open spot up looks.

armchairgm
    Participant

Drazen, Peja, and Kerr would all be in my Top 10.

sniper
    Participant

Depends on what you mean by “top.”

Here are top 5 by regular-season three-pointers made: Allen, Miller, Curry, Korver, Harden.
    Here are top 5 by playoff three-pointers made: Curry, Allen, Thompson, James, Ginobili. (Miller is 6th, Korver is 15th).

Here are top 5 by regular-season career percentage: Kerr, SETH Curry, Hubert Davis, Duncan Robinson, Petrovic. (STEPH Curry is 6th, Korver 12th, Thompson 14th).
    Here are top 5 by playoff career percentage: Bob Hansen, Raja Bell, Matt Bullard, BJ Armstrong, Mike Dunleavy Jr. (Thompson is 25th and Curry is 45th).

My take on all this: Curry is far and away the greatest three-point shooter of all time. Ray Allen is #2. Reggie Miller is #3. I wasn’t going to include Korver, but he’s the only guy besides Curry so high up in terms of both 3s made and %. That’s really impressive, he’s my #4. For #5 I’m ignoring the numbers and choosing Larry Bird. He is in the 200s when it comes to regular-season 3s made. But if you’re old enough to have watched the NBA in the 80s, Bird legitimized the 3 at a time when many coaches considered it a gimmick. He’s the first player whose highlight reels are full of 3s. So I give him credit as kind of the originator.

I think in a couple years Harden will have to make the list, not only because he will probably wind up #2 all-time in made 3s, but because he basically invented a new way to shoot them and a new standard for when they are a good shot,.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I think JJ Redick at least warrants a mention here as well

TRC1991
    Participant

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Chuck Hayes
    Ben Simmons
    Dennis Rodman
    Joakim Noah

Who wins in a 3 point shooting contest?

canadabasketballisrising
      Participant

I see Noah winning that contest with MKG pretty close. A lot of people would be surprised- wide open in a gym withtout thousands of fans all of these guys including Simmons would look pretty good shooting. Out of 100 wide open I would say most of these guys would hit 35-45 easy.

armchairgm
    Participant

First shooting contest ever MKG is winning

umassgrad20052005
    Participant

Korver can’t be ahead of Allen. Allen just took harder ones and played as a #1 options for years. Korver was much more of a role player, who got open looks because of other players. He was great at that, yet watch out if Allen was the third or 4th best player and got open looks. Same with Reggie Miller, much harder shots and #1 option on offense. The guy teams tried and focused on stopping.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login