This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Mkadoza 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Gronounours
    Participant

A few months ago, Stephen Curry claimed that Man never landed on the Moon. He was called out by many people, and eventually apologised.

Yesterday, I read on ESPN that Sonya Curry (Steph and Seth’s mom) likes to send ‘inspirational texts’ to her family, for example:

God is the reason we’re in this position as a family. So if he’s helped get us here, it’s up to us to represent him with class in the stands, on the court, wherever’

And for some reason, nobody has reacted to this shockingly stupid, insensitive comment. On top of claiming that her family was ‘chosen’ by God – who gave her sons a sweet shooting stroke (no kidding) – , she’s implying that the millions of kids who are facing hunger, brain cancer, a toxic environment, deadly epidemics, etc., are not the victims of bad luck or bad politics, but have been actively ‘chosen’ – i.e. punished – by God.

Why aren’t people calling her out? What’s wrong with the whole family? Does all this nonsense and gullibility have something to do with Trump’s election? Do (American) citizens still have functioning brains, and do they even care?

Cynthia
    Participant

Pretty much every Christian family says things like that…so no it’s not them being elitist or anything, just having faith in what they believe in.

I’m not religious, but if faith gives someone a reason to be happy and better themselves then I’m all for it and you should be too.

All in all this is a basketball forum, so take your dislike for religion, Americans and politics elsewhere. You’re really grasping at straws here and it’s rather pathetic.

Zouldiers
    Participant

Some people are very religious and have strong faith in what they believe in. Just leave it like that and respect it.

Gronounours
      Participant

So I should ‘respect’ asinine and shocking comments simply because the person who made them strongly believe in them?

TravelinTrav
    Participant

can we delete this thread? 

frogman
    Participant

As long as Stephen Curry doesn’t go full Israel Folau he will be fine.

Mkadoza
    Participant

I dont see anything wrong with that quote. You extracted meaning and implication about all the people in the world who have worse lives, and that the only "offensive" thing. Having faith and being thankful are not "asinine" or "shocking". Try not to be so triggered by faith and religion.

Gronounours
      Participant

If you think God gave something special to your kids, you should also recognize that God dealt a shitty life to millions of other kids. There’s no way around it. Why are some children born with a severe disability? Why do some get leukemia? Why do thousands of people die in earthquakes or tsunamis? Why does the plague even exist? Why has starvation always been such a common state of affairs on Earth? Personally, my answer is ‘that’s the way it is, it’s nobody’s fault’, because I don’t believe in any God.

But if you do believe in God, how can you at the same time acknowledge the gifts he made to your family and ignore the terrible cruelty he showed to others? It doesn’t make sense and/or it’s extremely callous.

I’m triggered by faith and religion indeed, especially when it manifests itself in this way. I’m sure Sonya Curry is a good person, but what she said should be called out.

OhCanada-
        Participant

Im not religous but I dont think thats the "idea". I think they mean that god? gave everybody in the world something special and the Curry family were just able to identify and harness that because of their faith. Alot of the time it is like paying tributes to thank god or homage. Its meant to be a positive thing that unifies people in a positive manner to keep spirits high. It really shouldnt upset you like that.

And to be quite literal complaining about millions of kids suffering bad situations really doesnt help the situation. Steph and his family are well known humanitarians that sacrafice a ton in order to do charity work like and help people in less fortunate situations.

Gronounours
          Participant

Maybe that’s the idea, but it’s a wrong idea. It’s not true that God gave everybody ‘something special’ that allows anyone, with a bit of effort, to live a happy, successful life. Unfortunately, some people are not smart and/or have no particular gifts and/or will never be healthy and/or are born in terrible environments. If you don’t believe me, just look at the world as it is. The universe is devoid of justice; maintaining that it was created by a perfectly good, just God leads people to say stupid things.

If The Currys do charity work, that’s great and I applaud them, but that was not my point.

SeattleSuperChronics
            Participant

You have to think of humanity as a whole not by a human by human case. We are born in sin living in a fallen world that is controlled by satan. The goal is to get to the next stage. 

Gronounours
              Participant

Riiiiight.

SeattleSuperChronics
                Participant

I feel sad for you.  

Gronounours
                  Participant

All over the word, billions of people believe other stories that are totally incompatible with yours. Just like you, they are absolutely convinced to be right and that everyone else -including you – is wrong, I’m sure most of them feel ‘sad’ for you too. Who should I believe? Which of the thousands of Gods am I supposed to worship? The odds are your particular faith is wrong, and that in fact all religions are completely arbitrary.

SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

Suffering is a fact of this fallen world. Jesus suffered. Yet he still loved god and the people that killed him. For there to be enternal life in the next world humanity has to navigate this path of suffering. 

Gronounours
      Participant

Yeah I know. God condemned mankind as a whole because 2 people had sinned, then all of a sudden decided that maybe he had been a bit harsh, at which point he sent his own son, so that ‘we’ could torture and kill Jesus to get our pardon. Edifying story, really, full of justice, morality, and logic.

mcbailey
    Participant

This whole topic is so devoid of common sense that it makes my head hurt. The only logical reason to be offended is if you do believe in God and are mad that he puts different people in different situations. You clearly don’t, so what difference does it make?

You’re either trolling or you have deep-seeded issues that no amount of internet ranting will ever resolve.

Gronounours
      Participant

‘This whole topic is so devoid of common sense’

I do agree with that!

More serioulsy, I find it weird that when someone says something really stupid, they’re called out, unless that really stupid thing is linked to faith, in which case it’s fine not only to *not* call them out, but also to report the stupid claim in an article on ESPN (in this case) as if it was something completely reasonable to say.

mcbailey
        Participant

We can agree that most sports reporting is useless, at least.

As for your point, I can concede that you make a certain kind of sense, but the difference is in the importance of the topic. I have no problem calling someone out for believing that the moon landing was fake or that the Earth is flat, but religion is important in a way that those two things are not. People build their lives around it. Fight and die for it. And seeing how I don’t actually know what happens after you die, I don’t feel the need to question what another person believes.

Put another way, it’s better to correct behavior and not thought. Believing your family is chosen by God isn’t a huge deal. Believing your family is chosen by God to commit murder is. Had any of the Currys said that, I’d be on board.

This is super deep for a hoops forum, though. Can we go back to hating Steph and his team for being good like normal sports fans?

Gronounours
          Participant

I get your point, but it’s precisely because people fight and die for religious ‘truths’ that it’s important to keep a critical mind.

Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Sonya Curry’s is so sexy. The original poster is so naive to never have been around Christians before. Didnt you watch anything tony Bennet said when Virginia won this year? Mark Jackson the announcer is also a certified pastor. God chose everyone, only idiots reject him

Gronounours
      Participant

I have no respect for the concept of faith, but I do respect religious people (provided they are respectful people themselves and don’t shout nonsense at every opportunity). I come from a Christian family, by the way.

You, on the other hand, think that the vast majority of humankind is made of idiots. You’re a bigot.

Scrooge McDuck
        Participant

A vast majority of the world believe in god. Religion is natural. Atheism, like you, is unnatural. Probably because you’re an ungrateful self entitled fool. Bigotry, by the way, is also natural, and more common than you think.

Mkadoza
        Participant

I still fail to see why your so upset with someone being appreciative of the opportunity. God or not, every one has their own life to live. Why is someone thanking the universe/ the force/ God for their good fortune stupid? Why does that automatically make God a bastard for other peoples misfortune? You wanna talk about how people ignore others misfortune will thanking their own blessings. What about the people who appreciate America depite is many flaws? Every philosophy has its shortcomings. Every system has its downfalls. Harping on Religion sounds like a personal gripe, when there are plenty of things that a far more reprehensable. 

BogDon_Krypt
    Participant

All I gotta say is Bogdon  

OhCanada-
      Participant

Cant argue with that! Thread closed. 

Mkadoza
    Participant

‘God is the reason we’re in this position as a family. So if he’s helped get us here, it’s up to us to represent him with class in the stands, on the court, wherever’

I dont see any problem with what she said. 

uwmFrickDog
    Participant

Gronounours,

I work at a Christian college for adults with intellectual disabilities.  We teach our students that God made everyone on purpose and for a purpose.  God has given all of us the ability to do everything that we are capable of doing.  He has given us all gifts that we can use to glorify him.  When we use our gifts to the best of our abilities, we are bringing glory to God.  In Steph’s case, "God has given him the ability of being athletic and when he plays basketball, he can feel God’s pleasure".  What is amazing is that so many of us misuse or waste our God given gifts.  Steph is a perfect example of how he uses his gifts to the best of his ability.  The quote from Sonya Curry was never meant to offend anyone, but to be used as a reminder for her son to use his gifts to glorify his Heavenly Father.

1 Corinthians 10:31 – So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I’m a huge Milwaukee Bucks fan and I’m excited about the possibility of the Bucks playing the Warriors in the NBA Finals.  As much as I’ll be rooting for my home team, I’ve always enjoyed watching Steph Curry play.  It is refreshing seeing someone use his God given gifts to its fullest potential.  He is a good role model and a man of God who hasn’t shyed away from sharing his faith. 

None of this was meant to get you angry, but you were looking for peoples opinions on the quote.  I can see how it was easy to misread and take the wrong way.

Thank you for sharing this with everyone and for reminding everyone of all of the blessings that God has given us!

God Bless and Go Bucks!!!!!!!!!

Mkadoza
      Participant

I dont know why you got negged. Religion really triggers people nowadays I guess. I wish people got as upset at various other societal matters, but c’est la vie.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login