This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  tylerchim 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

tylerchim
    Participant

We’re starting to see an influx of trade requests in the league right now. I agree with most mainstream journalists that the players having more power in the league overall is a positive. With that being said, things have gotten a little bit out of hand. Bill Simmons referenced on his podcast that 6/15 players on this years All-NBA teams have switch teams either via trade or Free Agency. I have a proposal that could hopefully dissuade players from requesting trades, or at the very minimum make them think twice about signing a contract with the intent of being traded within a year or two (i.e. Paul George, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, soon-to-come Kevin Love). 

Most All-Star level players have a 15% trade-kicker clause built into their contract. Meaning that if they’re traded, the remaining amount they’re owed on their contract increases by 15% (Example: A player with 1-year left and 25M remaining w/ a 15% trade kicker would then make 28.5M on his new team). 

My proposal is that if a player requests a trade, there should be financial repercussions. A great example is the AD-LA trade. Why should a player that is handicapping his current team by requesting a trade, be rewarded financially? AD ended up waiving the 15% trade kicker to increase the Lakers’ cap space, but the principle stands. Teams and the league should consider implementing the inverse of a trade kicker for a player requesting a trade. 

Any player that requests a trade, and is successfully dealt to a new team, should be forced to return 15% of their contract. Back to the 1-year left at 25M example, with a 15% reduction the player would then only be eligible for 21.25M. That would be 7.25M difference as it currently stands (28.5M – 21.25M). 

This would successfully decrease the amount of trade requests and hopefully slow down all the player movement we’re seeing. This summer has certainly been exciting, but I’m doubtful it’s sustainable for the league long-term. There would be more nuances to the specific % and different situations, as well as whether this should be handled in contract negotiations, but what are thoughts on this hypothetical? 

– TJC 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login