This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  fafdse33 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

torontoraptors10
    Participant

Hey guys (and ladies, if there are any on this website)

I have a question about basketball shoes, all of you are knowledgeable in basketball and I was wondering if there is a shoe out there that ISN’T Nike and is light as the Hyperdunks. I don’t like those clumpy, heavy shoes. I’m looking for something light and easy to move in.

I stopped supporting Nike because of they sweatshops accusations. If you are not aware of this, many children are put to work for a VERY low price and they are over-worked. The work conditions are terrible and since I’m an advocate for human rights and equality of humans, I won’t support this and I will start this by not buying their products. I believe if that, people start doing this, it will make a difference for these unfortunate people.

Please let me know about any shoes that are light, and easy to move in.

http://www.educatingforjustice.org/stopnikesweatshops.htm

http://www.lilith-ezine.com/articles/fashion/Nike-Sweatshops-in-China.html

MagikKnick
    Participant

Not be racist or anything, but isnt everything labelled "Made In China/Vietnam" done in sweatshops?

As far as light sneakers…Adidas has the lighest out right now with the AdiZeros

MagikKnick
    Participant

Not be racist or anything, but isnt everything labelled "Made In China/Vietnam" done in sweatshops?

As far as light sneakers…Adidas has the lighest out right now with the AdiZeros

TMoney617
    Participant

get those new derrick rose shoes. the lightest basketball shoe ever and it isn’t nike.

TMoney617
    Participant

get those new derrick rose shoes. the lightest basketball shoe ever and it isn’t nike.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Adidas has been putting a sh!t load of money and energy into boosting their basketball campaign these days and it seems to be paying off.  

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Adidas has been putting a sh!t load of money and energy into boosting their basketball campaign these days and it seems to be paying off.  

ilike.panochas
    Participant

Since your boycotting Nike, Adidas Crazylight is a good choice, but overpriced IMO at $125.

If you can convince yourself to buy a pair of Nike, go with 2010 Hyperfuse or 2010 Hyperdunk. Both are around $75-80 right now. Light and great for basketball. I would buy those over the overpriced Adidas Crazylights.

ilike.panochas
    Participant

Since your boycotting Nike, Adidas Crazylight is a good choice, but overpriced IMO at $125.

If you can convince yourself to buy a pair of Nike, go with 2010 Hyperfuse or 2010 Hyperdunk. Both are around $75-80 right now. Light and great for basketball. I would buy those over the overpriced Adidas Crazylights.

BasterdInABasket
    Participant

Making my game better is more important than protesting sweatshops. I had the 2010 hyperfuse which were great. The new Hyperfuse Air Max Flyby are way better though. Theyre a little heavier but the ankle and heel support is much better and the hyperfuse material is much more durable. If you dont like big clunky shoes dont get the Wall’s. Those things took me a month to really break in and they do feel bulky.

Im usually not a fan of adidas shoes but I really like the design of those adiZeros. I havent tried em out yet but I dont think I’d be willing to spend 130 on shoes.

BasterdInABasket
    Participant

Making my game better is more important than protesting sweatshops. I had the 2010 hyperfuse which were great. The new Hyperfuse Air Max Flyby are way better though. Theyre a little heavier but the ankle and heel support is much better and the hyperfuse material is much more durable. If you dont like big clunky shoes dont get the Wall’s. Those things took me a month to really break in and they do feel bulky.

Im usually not a fan of adidas shoes but I really like the design of those adiZeros. I havent tried em out yet but I dont think I’d be willing to spend 130 on shoes.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

But, Adidas, Reebok and Puma are made in sweatshops as well. As are most things, that have been outsourced to maximize company profits and keep everything competitive. Everyone knows the Nike sweatshop rumors, but I also know that there are many places JUST LIKE NIKE who get away scot free for doing the exact same thing. It does not make it right, but that is the world we live in, pal. I tend to just try not to shop at Wal-Mart, and boycott very little else. If you want to boycott Nike, that is your prerogative, but definitely research other companies as well before just going with the biggest and most profitable one that gets the most mud slung its way.

I may be biased, and I think Adidas makes high quality shoes, but Nike makes the best basketball shoes out there. They market brilliantly, and there shoes may cost a lot, but if you get any HyperDunk, LeBron or Kobe shoe, you more than likely will be wearing something a lot lighter and better than the competition. HD’s are amazing for hooping in, they are incredibly durable and I love playing in them. Nike really cares about athletes, and for all of the people who talk about sweatshops, realize that they are part of what makes our economy what it is. They are sad as hell, but if you boycott Nike over some other company, realize there is little way they are different. Plus, realize the Raptors and NBA get TONS of money from Nike, and that most of the NBA players wear their shoes. So, you might as well start walking around bare foot, because you are going to do a lot more boycotting when you find out Nike is not the first, or only, sports wear company using sweat shop labor.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

But, Adidas, Reebok and Puma are made in sweatshops as well. As are most things, that have been outsourced to maximize company profits and keep everything competitive. Everyone knows the Nike sweatshop rumors, but I also know that there are many places JUST LIKE NIKE who get away scot free for doing the exact same thing. It does not make it right, but that is the world we live in, pal. I tend to just try not to shop at Wal-Mart, and boycott very little else. If you want to boycott Nike, that is your prerogative, but definitely research other companies as well before just going with the biggest and most profitable one that gets the most mud slung its way.

I may be biased, and I think Adidas makes high quality shoes, but Nike makes the best basketball shoes out there. They market brilliantly, and there shoes may cost a lot, but if you get any HyperDunk, LeBron or Kobe shoe, you more than likely will be wearing something a lot lighter and better than the competition. HD’s are amazing for hooping in, they are incredibly durable and I love playing in them. Nike really cares about athletes, and for all of the people who talk about sweatshops, realize that they are part of what makes our economy what it is. They are sad as hell, but if you boycott Nike over some other company, realize there is little way they are different. Plus, realize the Raptors and NBA get TONS of money from Nike, and that most of the NBA players wear their shoes. So, you might as well start walking around bare foot, because you are going to do a lot more boycotting when you find out Nike is not the first, or only, sports wear company using sweat shop labor.

FilipinoElla

9.8 ounce of shoes, Adi-Zero

FilipinoElla

9.8 ounce of shoes, Adi-Zero

torontoraptors10
    Participant

It’s just sad to see that this is happening. I just want to find a pair of shoes that are ethically made and are light and easy to move in. I understand it’s business, but money is only a piece of paper. These are other human beings. People have more than they can bargain for and I just think it’s unfair for other humans to go through that. I mean, if I were in their position I would hope for someone to intervene and potentially help them.

torontoraptors10
    Participant

It’s just sad to see that this is happening. I just want to find a pair of shoes that are ethically made and are light and easy to move in. I understand it’s business, but money is only a piece of paper. These are other human beings. People have more than they can bargain for and I just think it’s unfair for other humans to go through that. I mean, if I were in their position I would hope for someone to intervene and potentially help them.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

But, as I said, if you are looking for something "ethically made", than make sure it is not from a major shoe distributor. Also, expect it to be a far inferior product. Think the AdiZero is made in a better working environment than the Hyperdunk? Things are different in these places than they are here, they are behind the times and manufacturing is a major part of their economy. The little they get paid there can afford them more than it would here, not an excuse for the low wages, but it is true.

I would just say, do more research before singling out Nike for sweatshop labor. If you look up these other companies, the allegations are no different. I will say, my brother works for Nike, and I have friends that did as well. It was founded at my school, and I know they are cutting edge in sports technology and innovation. So, I try not to bite off the hand that feeds a lot of people I know. Unfortunately, the way companies have made a profit involved looking for ways to save money. This has lead to questionable practices, but Nike does it to stay competitive. Until major human rights moves are made internationally, expect many things you buy, see and touch on the daily to be made with questionable ethics. Meanwhile, if you are looking for shoes that are "ethically made", you might want to stay away from all of the major companies.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

But, as I said, if you are looking for something "ethically made", than make sure it is not from a major shoe distributor. Also, expect it to be a far inferior product. Think the AdiZero is made in a better working environment than the Hyperdunk? Things are different in these places than they are here, they are behind the times and manufacturing is a major part of their economy. The little they get paid there can afford them more than it would here, not an excuse for the low wages, but it is true.

I would just say, do more research before singling out Nike for sweatshop labor. If you look up these other companies, the allegations are no different. I will say, my brother works for Nike, and I have friends that did as well. It was founded at my school, and I know they are cutting edge in sports technology and innovation. So, I try not to bite off the hand that feeds a lot of people I know. Unfortunately, the way companies have made a profit involved looking for ways to save money. This has lead to questionable practices, but Nike does it to stay competitive. Until major human rights moves are made internationally, expect many things you buy, see and touch on the daily to be made with questionable ethics. Meanwhile, if you are looking for shoes that are "ethically made", you might want to stay away from all of the major companies.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

Only way you’ll find a legit pair of shoes that is made respectfully is if your grandma knits some for her grandchild.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

Only way you’ll find a legit pair of shoes that is made respectfully is if your grandma knits some for her grandchild.

Logtay
    Participant

Has anyone tried those shoes I was going to get them but I was worried that with only 9.8 oz that they would just be destroyed within a matter of months, and at what size are they 9.8 oz.

Logtay
    Participant

Has anyone tried those shoes I was going to get them but I was worried that with only 9.8 oz that they would just be destroyed within a matter of months, and at what size are they 9.8 oz.

aamir543
    Participant

I know, its sad that things are the way they are, but honestly, EVERY big manufacturer has this problem. I think its a great thing that you are doing, but unfortunatly, if you were to boycott every company that makes products in Sweat shops, you’d be in rags. But I do advise you to do more reasearch, and maybe there is a company or two.

(Maybe  Payless? lol)

aamir543
    Participant

I know, its sad that things are the way they are, but honestly, EVERY big manufacturer has this problem. I think its a great thing that you are doing, but unfortunatly, if you were to boycott every company that makes products in Sweat shops, you’d be in rags. But I do advise you to do more reasearch, and maybe there is a company or two.

(Maybe  Payless? lol)

LazarusMunoz
    Participant

Honestly i always play basketball in a pair of sandals….super light weight,stylish and they show off my tattoo of Papa Smurf on my right foot

LazarusMunoz
    Participant

Honestly i always play basketball in a pair of sandals….super light weight,stylish and they show off my tattoo of Papa Smurf on my right foot

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

LazarusMunoz is one of the oddest posters on this site.. lmao

Aren’t you always in and out of prison?  Or you served a sentence?  Yet, you have a Papa Smurf tattoo on your right foot.. hahaha

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

LazarusMunoz is one of the oddest posters on this site.. lmao

Aren’t you always in and out of prison?  Or you served a sentence?  Yet, you have a Papa Smurf tattoo on your right foot.. hahaha

fafdse33
    Participant

Adidas has been setting a sh!T load of cash and strength into boosting their basketball marketing campaign for waitressing shoe reviews nowadays and it seems to be paying off.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login