This topic contains 31 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  wabashpug 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

When Coach K retires, who does everyone think will/ should suceed him?

I know Pop is the best coach available, but due to his age, I’m not sure if he would be a good candidate.

in MO, I think I think coaches that should be considered are (as of now): Carlisle, Rivers (wont be a popular opinion), Pop, Stevens (assistant first)..

What does everyone else think?

Robb_C
    Participant

Tom Thibodeau will definitely get a look, he has no kids no wife to have b*tch at him cause he spends to much time in the off-season coaching.. He would make sense.. The only thing you have to worry about with Thibodeau is Rotations, and you wouldn’t have to deal with that problem with team USA because he literally has the best players at his disposal..

Robb_C
    Participant

Tom Thibodeau will definitely get a look, he has no kids no wife to have b*tch at him cause he spends to much time in the off-season coaching.. He would make sense.. The only thing you have to worry about with Thibodeau is Rotations, and you wouldn’t have to deal with that problem with team USA because he literally has the best players at his disposal..

RecoveringVegetarian
    Participant

Hey Now!!! Jason Kidd ,brad Stevens,frank self would be great!!! Or John Thompson 3, he would love to right the wrong his old man made by putting together that Crappy team in 88!!!!!!!!

RecoveringVegetarian
    Participant

Hey Now!!! Jason Kidd ,brad Stevens,frank self would be great!!! Or John Thompson 3, he would love to right the wrong his old man made by putting together that Crappy team in 88!!!!!!!!

phila9012
    Participant

I think Brad Stevens or rick carlisle as head coach and the other as lead assistant with David blatt as one of the assistants since he was successful in Europe and has international coaching experience he got a gold and a bronze in fiba european championships and a bronze at the olympics coaching the Russian national team. Then for the other assistant coach or coaches can be really anyone. I think those three would all compliment each other and bring a lot to the table, since they all have different coaching backrounds.

phila9012
    Participant

I think Brad Stevens or rick carlisle as head coach and the other as lead assistant with David blatt as one of the assistants since he was successful in Europe and has international coaching experience he got a gold and a bronze in fiba european championships and a bronze at the olympics coaching the Russian national team. Then for the other assistant coach or coaches can be really anyone. I think those three would all compliment each other and bring a lot to the table, since they all have different coaching backrounds.

Chewy
    Participant

I don’t like Pop due to age (agree with OP). There is no questionsing his coaching, but you want someone who will be there for 8-12 years.

I don’t like Carlisle just because he has a reputation for being very strict about his offensive sets and scoring options. When you have 12 of the top 20 or so players in the world, you can’t micromanage them.

I like Izzo. Coach K proved you don’t have to be an NBA guy to be the head USA coach.

I like Stevens, but I know he is a huge numbers/ analytics guy. Again, I don’t know how much micromanaging he would be doing with the best players in the world. He is a toss up for me because I don’t know his style of coaching THAT well…

I would consider Donovan and Pitino. Not sure about Pitino and his age (if he would commit to 8 years of coaching 4 tournaments). 

How about some love for Budenholzer? Pop may be too old for my likeing, but how bout someone from the Spurs coaching tree? He focuses on teamwork and ball movement and if you get 12 NBA studs to move the ball and share offensively, they will be unstoppable.

Chewy
    Participant

I don’t like Pop due to age (agree with OP). There is no questionsing his coaching, but you want someone who will be there for 8-12 years.

I don’t like Carlisle just because he has a reputation for being very strict about his offensive sets and scoring options. When you have 12 of the top 20 or so players in the world, you can’t micromanage them.

I like Izzo. Coach K proved you don’t have to be an NBA guy to be the head USA coach.

I like Stevens, but I know he is a huge numbers/ analytics guy. Again, I don’t know how much micromanaging he would be doing with the best players in the world. He is a toss up for me because I don’t know his style of coaching THAT well…

I would consider Donovan and Pitino. Not sure about Pitino and his age (if he would commit to 8 years of coaching 4 tournaments). 

How about some love for Budenholzer? Pop may be too old for my likeing, but how bout someone from the Spurs coaching tree? He focuses on teamwork and ball movement and if you get 12 NBA studs to move the ball and share offensively, they will be unstoppable.

Rip255

What does it matter.

International ball has never been less relevent.

Fiba is a joke that has no money or influence.

Players dont want to play internationally because the risk/reward isnt there.

When the NBA correctly hosts its own World Cup style tournament that properly pays players and fits into their schedule…maybe youll get commitment from everyone involved.

Aside from an olympic final…tell me a must-see international game.

Simply put.. Internatiinal ball is dead.

Chewy
      Participant

"Players dont want to play internationally because the risk/reward isnt there."

Strange timing for you to say this. If this was 2004, I’d agree with you. But just look at the lists of players who have already agreed to come to Team USA’s mini camp this summer. Clearly NBA stars DO want to play for Team USA again.

Rip255

ESPN didnt even send a camera crew to the World Championships last year.

International games are played in empty stadiums of unenthusiastic fans.

For my country…Patty Mills didnt want to play. Joe Ingles is the same. Bogut hadnt played for 8 years and Ben Simmons prioritised college commitments. 

Lets call  a spade, a spade. Basketball is the #2 sport in the world.

International basketball should be the equal of international soccer. Hosting the FIBA WC should be a multi billion dollar extravaganza with new stadiums and floods of tourisn.

In reality its not even the equal of international badminton (I’d be hppy to compare crowd numbers and tv ratings with you if you disagree)

xJumpManx
          Participant

Maybe in your country but Soccer hardly even registers aa a blip in the USA sports radar.

Rip255

There’s more soccer on ESPN than international basketball. You could also fill a US Mens Soccer team stadium faster than the US Mens basketball team. No-one wants to watch them beat down on teams like Dominican Republic. Put that match in the Staples Centre and no-one turns up…

It’s not that I don’t like international basketball….it’s just that there’s zero interest globally for it. I’m depressed that it’s such an untapped source of quality hoops. 

This is the order of basketball importance in America…

1) NBA

2) NCAA

3) HS Hoops

4) Womens NCAA & WNBA

5) International Bball (same level of interest as Summer League).

I want international basketball to be great….but truth is…it barely worth having as it stands right now.  

Rip255

There’s more soccer on ESPN than international basketball. You could also fill a US Mens Soccer team stadium faster than the US Mens basketball team. No-one wants to watch them beat down on teams like Dominican Republic. Put that match in the Staples Centre and no-one turns up…

It’s not that I don’t like international basketball….it’s just that there’s zero interest globally for it. I’m depressed that it’s such an untapped source of quality hoops. 

This is the order of basketball importance in America…

1) NBA

2) NCAA

3) HS Hoops

4) Womens NCAA & WNBA

5) International Bball (same level of interest as Summer League).

I want international basketball to be great….but truth is…it barely worth having as it stands right now.  

xJumpManx
          Participant

Maybe in your country but Soccer hardly even registers aa a blip in the USA sports radar.

Rip255

ESPN didnt even send a camera crew to the World Championships last year.

International games are played in empty stadiums of unenthusiastic fans.

For my country…Patty Mills didnt want to play. Joe Ingles is the same. Bogut hadnt played for 8 years and Ben Simmons prioritised college commitments. 

Lets call  a spade, a spade. Basketball is the #2 sport in the world.

International basketball should be the equal of international soccer. Hosting the FIBA WC should be a multi billion dollar extravaganza with new stadiums and floods of tourisn.

In reality its not even the equal of international badminton (I’d be hppy to compare crowd numbers and tv ratings with you if you disagree)

Chewy
      Participant

"Players dont want to play internationally because the risk/reward isnt there."

Strange timing for you to say this. If this was 2004, I’d agree with you. But just look at the lists of players who have already agreed to come to Team USA’s mini camp this summer. Clearly NBA stars DO want to play for Team USA again.

Rip255

What does it matter.

International ball has never been less relevent.

Fiba is a joke that has no money or influence.

Players dont want to play internationally because the risk/reward isnt there.

When the NBA correctly hosts its own World Cup style tournament that properly pays players and fits into their schedule…maybe youll get commitment from everyone involved.

Aside from an olympic final…tell me a must-see international game.

Simply put.. Internatiinal ball is dead.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I think it has to be Donavan or Pitino.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I think it has to be Donavan or Pitino.

Hitster
    Participant

I think that USA Basketball will probably go for a college coach given they have a lighter season and it is almost a neutral person to choose the roster rather than an NBA coach.

I’d rule out Doc Rivers as he holds a big front office role with Clippers, likewise Flip. Mike Budenholzer etc. Brad Stevens is still a very young coach and I think Boston would not want him too distracted yet with an additional role but I’d say he’d be a good fit as an assistant with a view to being a future head coach.

Rick Pitino would be a good fit but would he want an extra role at the age of 63 I wonder, Tom Izzo and Bill Self especially would seem good candidates to me.

Kevin Ollie could be another guy who might be groomed for the lead role as an Assistant if it was felt too early to give him the top job and having had a long NBA career as well as being a successful college coach he nicely has a foot in both the players and coaching camps.

Hitster
    Participant

I think that USA Basketball will probably go for a college coach given they have a lighter season and it is almost a neutral person to choose the roster rather than an NBA coach.

I’d rule out Doc Rivers as he holds a big front office role with Clippers, likewise Flip. Mike Budenholzer etc. Brad Stevens is still a very young coach and I think Boston would not want him too distracted yet with an additional role but I’d say he’d be a good fit as an assistant with a view to being a future head coach.

Rick Pitino would be a good fit but would he want an extra role at the age of 63 I wonder, Tom Izzo and Bill Self especially would seem good candidates to me.

Kevin Ollie could be another guy who might be groomed for the lead role as an Assistant if it was felt too early to give him the top job and having had a long NBA career as well as being a successful college coach he nicely has a foot in both the players and coaching camps.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Rick Pitino’s age at 63 will not effect his decision and he is more than capable of coaching another team. In fact Pitino coached the Puerto Rican basketball team this  summer and said  it was for practice and he was trying to learn the international game. I think he’s got next.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Rick Pitino’s age at 63 will not effect his decision and he is more than capable of coaching another team. In fact Pitino coached the Puerto Rican basketball team this  summer and said  it was for practice and he was trying to learn the international game. I think he’s got next.

Illadelph
    Participant

Sean Miller?  He is young, a top coach who is experienced with coaching top players.  I’d go for him over Pitino, Izzo, etc.

Billy Donovan would be a good pick too.  He was an elite college coach who has coached a lot of NBA talent, and now he is an NBAer.

And, then, of course… there is John Calipari.  He has coached more NBA talent than some NBA coaches lol…  I doubt he would go for it since he is pretty wrapped up in the BBN, but if coach K could run the Duke program and do it, then why not Calipari?

Illadelph
    Participant

Sean Miller?  He is young, a top coach who is experienced with coaching top players.  I’d go for him over Pitino, Izzo, etc.

Billy Donovan would be a good pick too.  He was an elite college coach who has coached a lot of NBA talent, and now he is an NBAer.

And, then, of course… there is John Calipari.  He has coached more NBA talent than some NBA coaches lol…  I doubt he would go for it since he is pretty wrapped up in the BBN, but if coach K could run the Duke program and do it, then why not Calipari?

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

I personally don’t think any college coach would pass up the oppurtunity to coach the national team.

And not many/ if any (extreme circumstances only) coaches in the world for that matter. 

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

I personally don’t think any college coach would pass up the oppurtunity to coach the national team.

And not many/ if any (extreme circumstances only) coaches in the world for that matter. 

Mr. HookShot
    Participant

For me, I would have to favorites. One is Billy Donovan, who is one of the best coaches in the world, highly respected with experience in college and (the upcoming year) in pro basketball as well. He has the age and the merits to lead a good group of coaches.
    Another underrated option would be Fred Hoiberg. He goes the similar path as Donovan, but is a bit younger (42 compared to 50), so he would be able to stick around longer.
    In addition, it would be good to pick up one young, less experienced head coach as an assistant (Hoiberg is also an option for that role) and groom him for command.

In terms of age, here are some numbers for possible candidates (headcoach or assistant).

NBA
    Jason Kidd – 42
    Billy Donovan – 50
    Brad Stevens – 38
    Mike Budenholzer – 46
    Gregg Popovich – 66
    Rick Carlisle – 55
    Fred Hoiberg – 42
    David Blatt – 56
    Steve Kerr – 49
    Doc Rivers – 53

College
    Tom Izzo – 60
    Kevin Ollie – 42
    Sean Miller – 46
    John Thompson – 49
    Bill Self- 53
    Shaka Smart – 38
    Danny Manning – 42

Mr. HookShot
    Participant

For me, I would have to favorites. One is Billy Donovan, who is one of the best coaches in the world, highly respected with experience in college and (the upcoming year) in pro basketball as well. He has the age and the merits to lead a good group of coaches.
    Another underrated option would be Fred Hoiberg. He goes the similar path as Donovan, but is a bit younger (42 compared to 50), so he would be able to stick around longer.
    In addition, it would be good to pick up one young, less experienced head coach as an assistant (Hoiberg is also an option for that role) and groom him for command.

In terms of age, here are some numbers for possible candidates (headcoach or assistant).

NBA
    Jason Kidd – 42
    Billy Donovan – 50
    Brad Stevens – 38
    Mike Budenholzer – 46
    Gregg Popovich – 66
    Rick Carlisle – 55
    Fred Hoiberg – 42
    David Blatt – 56
    Steve Kerr – 49
    Doc Rivers – 53

College
    Tom Izzo – 60
    Kevin Ollie – 42
    Sean Miller – 46
    John Thompson – 49
    Bill Self- 53
    Shaka Smart – 38
    Danny Manning – 42

wabashpug
    Participant

Yes, I think that would be a great choice. I am as essay writer at payforessay.net wrote an essay on this topic back then.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login