This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  OhCanada- 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

armchairgm
    Participant

It comes down to Dominique Wilkins and Vince Carter to me, but tough decision because they are different types of dunkers, if I have to pick one Dominique because he was creative while dunking over guys with power at the same time. Most guys when dunking over someone do a simple power dunk and their creative in game dunks are on breakaways.

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Carter then wilkins

holefillers1
    Participant

Dr. J
    Rain Man
    Greek Freak
    Lebron
    All these guys are and we’re some of the best.

sniper
    Participant

Dominique and Vince are good answers. Also, God bless them but they combined for 0 titles, 0 finals appearances and 1 conference-final appearance in their 37 years of play.

Maybe in-game dunking isn’t all that? A dunk is worth 2 points, just like a Bill Sharman two-handed set shot from 1960.

The only added value I can see is when dunking literally intimidates and/or demoralizes an opponent. This probably happens a lot less than fans think it does. Everyone in the NBA has been dunked on hundreds or thousands of times. When it happens I doubt they’re as crushed as we think they are. But there’s one possible exception: Darryl “Chocolate Thunder” Dawkins.

See, when he dunked the ball in a game, there was a slight but not negligible possibility that the backboard would shatter, raining shards of potentially lethal glass on opponents and teammates alike. It happened several times. It had to make you think. At the very least it delayed the game by an hour or so.

So the greatest in-game dunker of all time is Darryl “Chocolate Thunder” Dawkins.

airguyton
    Participant

I liked Jason Richardson in game dunks the best personally I remember he tryed that 360 dunk on lebron. He used to do those dunks alot.

OhCanada-
    Participant

For me its gotta be Vince Carter. I dont really have to explain why do I.

Kinda shocked nobody’s mentioned Blake Griffin or even Deandre Jordan. Those two had some of the most memorable dunks in NBA history. Gerald Green had some fantastic dunks as well that guys dunking skills were right there with prime Vince Carter. J-Rich may have been one of the best dunkers the league has seen but in game he was strictly buisness and noone really jumped with him. That decade of basketball he played in guys made sure not to jump they always shyed away from being on a poster I remember more memorable dunks from Derrick Rose, Baron Davis and a long list of guys.

Please don’t forget prime STAT. He was an absolute beast and dunked everything.

And of course Jordan, Lebron and Bryant will miss out on being on this list just because of how amazing they were overall people will forget how great they were at dunking on people.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login