This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bt102 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

high floor
    Participant

Could Aaron Nesmith be a riser in this year’s draft? In a draft that includes such a high-risk factor in the lottery….. I may try to grab the guy that already has a strong, discernable skill that will translate to the pros. Shooting.

In addition to his scoring game, I like his size, aggressiveness, defense.

Offense – He’s at 4.3 treys per game, on 8.2 attempts. A sizzling 52% from beyond the arc. Awesome.
    Size – At 6’6, 215lbs he has very similar size to Klay Thompson, Ray Allen and Allan Houston.
    Aggressiveness – He gets to the FT line at 4.5 times per game, and converts at 83%. Really good sign
    Defense – 1.0blks & 1.4 stls are good indicators of his activity on defense. His lateral quickness is pretty decent.

His weakness is his court vision. Career 1.3 assists per game shows that he needs some work to not be a liability when defenders get in his space or double team him. Fortunately there are some good current players that didn’t fill up the box score with assists in college, but went on to be productive distributors after a few years in the pro’s;

Gordon Hayward – 1.8 assists per game at Butler
    Eddie Jones – 1.6 assists per game at Temple
    Glen Rice – 1.6 assists per game freshman & sophomore year at Michigan

So what do you all think? Could Nesmith move up a few more spots (8-10 range) in this year’s draft? Or am I way off & could he potentially slide as a 1-dimensional threat?

Zouldiers
    Participant

The thing about Nesmith though is that even if he doesn’t develop other parts of his game. He could last long in the NBA just by his shooting. He lacks a quick first step and has mediocre handles but like you said shooting will be his calling card in the pros. Depends though, I mean guys like Vassell and Okoro have higher potential due to their athleticism and they projected to be 3 and D guys like Nesmith so it really depends on team preference. This draft is loaded with 3 and D guys.

armchairgm
    Participant

Currently I think he is more in the late lottery- mid 1st right now. He reminds me of Danny Green I think he will be a 3 and D roleplayer. Offensively he is basically just a catch and shoot player.

bt102
    Participant

At this point yes. I have him at 10 at the moment, mainly because I could see Phoenix going after him. But he should definitely be in the league for a while

TRC1991
    Participant

How about a Dillon Brooks comp?

2quick4u
    Participant

Teams would be crazy if this man is not taken in the Top 10 but I think that the biggest riser in this year’s Draft could be Aleksej Pokusevski; this kid is still 18yo until Dec and he’s a 7 footer with guard skills although he might need a couple of years to develope his game&body but i could see BOS gambling in the mid 1st Rd with one of their 3 picks.

Zouldiers
      Participant

Aleksej is 2 years away from 2 years away.

bt102
    Participant

I don’t think Alexsej will go in the top 10, but he should be a lottery selection at least.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login