This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  canadabasketballisrising 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

holefillers1
    Participant

I read in Forbes magazine that the start date for the 2020-2021 season will be December 1st. This seems a bit early to me. Now I know a lot depends on how the current post season plays out in Orlando but if the Finals end during the second week in October, players are looking at about a two week rest period before resuming basketball activities. Obviously this is a competitive disadvantage to the two teams that face off in the finals. A couple months ago I had heard rumblings off a start date beginning with the Christmas Day games. Free agency is scheduled for the middle of October, essentially right after the conclusion of the finals. A December 25th start date would leave roughly six weeks for newly signed players to move their families to a new city and resume basketball activities all during a pandemic. My question is, is that enough time for these players, and are there other dates on the calendar that could work. Personally I believe MLK Day would make for a perfect date to resume basketball as games are usually played all day long and of course the day itself is important to all. What do you guys think and should the NBA move the start date permanently? For note, a January 20th start date would put the playoffs in the months of July and August.

armchairgm
    Participant

NBA has talked about permantley moving to a calendar that would look like this even before Corona Virus hit.
    -draft end of August
    – free agency beginning of September
    -fall (old summer) league mid Sept
    -training camp mid November
    -season start early December
    – trade deadline late March/early April
    -All star game early/mid April
    -mid June playoffs start
    -mid August playoffs end

Basically everything pushed back 2 months to compete with NFL less. They were talking about a bunch of changes though like reseeding after semi-finals, cutting regular season games/All Star game for a World Cup like in season tournament, having the 7-10 seeds have a playoff play in tournament.

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

seems like kyrie wants to go against the establishment…on a conference call with 80 players today..he said he was against playing in Orlando…and feels like theres something fishy about the format…..stay tuned

holefillers1
    Participant

What is with that guy. He is probably the last guy in the entire league I would want on my team. He is either injured or complaining and when he is out his teams seem to play better. He thinks the Earth is flat. So of course there is something fishy about Orlando.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Yeah don’t let the media take you for a spin. Kyries one of the smartest players in the NBA and is vp of the players union. He just says stupid shit on camera trying to sound smart he doesnt act right around the media and really struggles with that side of it. Hes not the only one that feels that way hes just the face/voice for the people who do. Just like any politician.

That flat Earth thing gets taken out of proportion. What Kyrie was really trying to say to everyone when he made those comments was that you shouldn’t just believe everything your told. That was the point. Unless you are up in space looking down on Earth with your own two eyes you should be open to all possibilities. And for this he gets destroyed by the media and funny thing is now everyone just does the opposite of what he suggests they do and makes fun of him for the flat earth thing. Now thats gotta make you feel kinda ignorant.

canadabasketballisrising
        Participant

Kyrie is not one of the smartest nba players. He thought the earth was flat and then retracted his statement when everyone called him out on it. There were literally thousands of teenage kids who revere him that now believe that and won’t believe their teachers.

apparently i clicked like on my own comment…lol

OhCanada-
          Participant

Bro the flat Earth thing was a suggestion.

canadabasketballisrising
            Participant

no it was his opinion

holefillers1
        Participant

Yeah Kyrie, Dwight Howard and Melo are the three player reps…

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

NBA Players have all ready had 3 months off.. for teams that have won, the main core of players wont be taking part in training camp or exhibition games.
    The NBA still values USA basketball, as well as the other players it has from other countries playing in the Olympics next year and december 25th is too late for that.

If they start Dec. 25th the playoffs will conflict with the Olympics which would be a disaster on so many levels, especially TV ratings, and money.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login